Marriage and Divorce in the United States
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention show the following basic data for marriage and divorce in the United States.
- Number of marriages in the U.S.: 2,245,404.
- Marriage rate in the U.S.: 6.9 per 1,000 total population.
- Number of divorces in the U.S.: 827,261 (from 44 reporting States and Washington, D.C.)
- Divorce rate in the U.S.: 3.2 per 1,000 population (44 reporting States and Washington, D.C.) This is known as the “crude divorce rate.” This is from 2014 (that latest year of data from the CDC) and is helpful for describing changes in divorce rates over time.
- The average length of a marriage that ends in divorce is 8 years.
- More than 90% of people marry by age 50 and 40-50% of marriages in the United States end in divorce, according to the American Psychological Association.
- As of 2016, both marriage rates and divorce rates in the U.S. are decreasing.
- Research suggests that around 41% of all first marriages end in divorce, where 60% of second marriages and 73% of third marriages end in divorce.
- The United States has the sixth highest divorce rate in the world, where Russia has the highest.
- People wait an average of three years after a divorce to get remarried, if they get remarried at all.
- 60% of all divorces involve individuals 25-39 years old.
- Wives file for divorce most often (66% on average).
- About 1% of same-sex couples get divorced each year.
Oklahoma Divorce Statistics
- According to the Oklahoma State Department of Health, both marriages and divorces have been on the decline since the 1990s. Where 1990 saw a total of 33,249 marriage licenses issued, there were only 29,018 licenses issued in 2015.
- Consequently, there were 24,977 divorces in the state of Oklahoma in 1990, and only 17,063 in 2015.
Expensive Celebrity Divorce Settlements
- Celebrity divorce settlements often make headlines when the net worth of the parties involved is in the hundreds of millions (or even billions!). These are some of the most expensive celebrity divorce settlements in history.
- Rupert and Anna Murdoch: $1.7 billion
- Mel and Robyn Gibson: $425 million
- Michael and Juanita Jordan: $168 million
- Neil Diamond and Marcia Murphey: $150 million
- Tiger Woods and Elin Nordegren: $110 million
- Steven Spielberg and Amy Irvin: $100 million
Low-Cost Uncontested Divorce in Oklahoma
The cost of divorce in Oklahoma can range from a few hundred dollars for a cheap paralegal service to several thousand dollars per person. MicroDivorce offers a fast and easy service for uncontested divorce services in Oklahoma.
Find out now if you qualify for MicroDivorce.